Observations

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Amazing Grace

In York Minster, one of the world's finest cathedrals, there is a plaque to William Wilburforce. I posed next to it. Wilburforce is burried in Westminster Abbey, famed local, near another plaque. The greatest plaque to Wilburforce, however, was the Act to Abolish slavery in the entire English empire.

Currently there are women in Iran, informing the population of the rights of women and of the current abuses, such as domestic violence. Some of these women have been given the choice to leave their homeland instead of becoming martyrs in Iranian prisons. One of them, Fariba Davoodi Mohajer, plans to return to Iran despire likely arrest.


After watching Amazing Grace, the story of "Wilbur's" journey to abolish slavery, I thought I might too be asked to know what I have believed and to act on it in love. As much as a journey to Iran seemed good, it is also something I could not do right now. I wondered aloud about what we might do to help others, such as the Iranian women. One friend suggested letting others know about these women was one thing we can do.


So meet, Fariba.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home