Observations

Saturday, July 08, 2006

final project: EDUG 530 Learning Theorgy

My learning theory prof, Donna, asked me to reflect on our final project: tearing up and remaking a book. That's right! No test or final paper, just altering a book, a whole book.

Here are my relections.

What was this like for you?
Possibly more time consuming that studying for a test, or writing a paper, but a lot more meaningful and enjoyable - enjoyable work.

What did or didn’t make learning possible?
Having to work to "construct" something meaningful and draw upon all of the past two weeks learning made more learning and connections come about. The open-ended part was a bit scarey, but so refreshing when I really got into the material - I didn't have to write an outline or report about Frank Smith, I could use pictures!!!! The longer I worked on the project, the more varied were my forms of representing learning.

At first, I was very excited to be with the group I was with. Then it got more difficult because we had a hard time coming to agreement about how to approach this project. I really wanted to slow down and discuss more, but was challenged to jump in and alter the section of the book which I read. I didn't really ever get a good overview of the book, but I knew my section, and it was the most immportant. =)

Because I read my section the first time with a critical eye and an active pencil, it was easier to make an outline of what needed to be cut and where additions needed to come. After reading through my chapters once, I started making an outline of paragraphs - which to cut and where to add. Then, I made a draft of the new book - still shocked to be cutting up a book. I used the draft to search the internet for appropraite pictures and additional information. And finally, by 12:03pm on Thursday, the masterpiece was completed. My perfectionistic side got in the way a bit, but the "just do it" part helped out.

What kind of learning happened during the course of putting together this altered book?
Connections, Connections, Connections. Connections between theorists and ideas came together for me. The same can be said of the snapshots. I think I have an understanding of the various learning theories that either connects with my life or to a structure I now have in my mind (piaget is next to and similar to dewey but dewey's social aspect has much more in common with Vygotsky) I had learned about Bandura and Vygotsky in psychology classes. But now I was learning how their work was being used in and by the field of education, and how it connected to some - Dewey & Critical Pedagogy - and contrasted with others - Piaget, Skinner. I love reading through some of the books I just got, recognizing names and being able to understand their perspectives, at least a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home