Observations

Saturday, July 01, 2006

what makes learning possible?

In the midst of my final project for Learning Theory, I have discovered some writers & theorists:

Frank Smith - learning happens by the company you keep, naturally, out with tests; further, he traces education theory during the last 150 years and shows how many of the practices of education come from faulty assumptions (Ebbinghaus' nonsense words) Nel would agree with faulty assumptions - and from the endeavors our nation has spent the most time and money on (War language and practices - IQ and Stanford-Binet testing, space and computer age pursuits). His sarcastic trivia included how Binet's test was developed to determine who should or shouldn't be in an insane asylumn. I would personally feel like a success if my classroom could encourage students, and myself, to learn classically.

Nel Noddings - motivation - work with the current motivation of the student rather than force or coerce student to be "into" learning my way or my stuff, reminiscent of "teaching will flow out of who you are" and "works come through faith." I believe I would prefer hearing to reading her idea due to the complexity of the ideas

Paulo Freire and bel hooks - challenging notion of students coming to school as "blank slates," suggesting all teachers and students and all students are teachers, especially interested in making learning accessible to the "opressed" or those unincluded in society/school.

Big "ah ha" moment of the day has to do with multiculturalism. As I have been thinking through how to include "other cultures" in my curriculm, it suddenly occurred to me that my curriculm already has a cultural "bent." So that is what people have been trying to tell me for the last four years. This "ah ha" moment has been brought to you courtsey of Frank Smith, . . . or was that Eric Jensen?

Found it - Jensen, page 119 "In some cases, you might teach something five times and the fifth time might be the charm, especially if the brain is suddenly becoming ready for it. In other cases, you might simply plant the seeds for a task and let it go until next year." Piagetian stages appear might have influenced Jensen, better check the references. Nope, not even in the Index. However, stages are one of the four most recognized contributions of Piaget, so of course stages influenced Jensen. " . . . after Piaget, what educator who takes teaching seriously will ignore the fact that students may be developing through stages? Even more significantly, at some stages the students might not yet have developed the logical or conceptual equipment to be able to tackle certain types of problems."

Did I just remember and acurately recall something of Jensen and Piaget?! I don't even agree with much of their work? Could be the melted and reformed chocolate. Could be the plants on my desk producing oxygen. Or, it could be learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home